Thursday, October 29, 2009

Tuesday Night Review ... Time for A Running Coach?

Note: As I'm writing this, I'm eating Zataraine's jambalaya mix. Do I like it? Eh, not so much. The red beans and rice package is good though ...

Here's an update: for Tuesday (Wednesday) night, Brian and I went to a long-standing "English" pub, The Grafton, not to be confused with an Irish pub (no gaelic, less green, etc.). I give it 2 of 5 Zs.

Ouch! I know, I know. Why the low rating? The food really wasn't that good. My burger was blah, and the cole slaw proved that it is possible to have a dish that uses mayonaise and tastes just as bland as ... cold, chopped cabbage. Brian's cajun chicken sandwich seemed to comprise schnitzel-esque chicken (pounded meat). My mashed potatoes were good, but it's pretty hard to screw up mashed potatoes.

Here's where The Grafton wins: The atmosphere. The staff. Both are charming. If I were judging it by a pint and a good time, it'd be 4 of 5 Zs. But if you go there hungry, you might be taking your chances (after all, my experience was one night, right?).

Ideas for next Tuesday (Wednesday): The Fantastic Crepe (so new I couldn't find a Web site) or a Korean place.  Stay tuned.

***

So this running thing, yeah ... I've gotta get into a rhythm, and I'm scared. I'm scared of making my knees worse, and I'm scared of being in pain from the more frequent runs and then having my other workouts suffer. But I don't want to say "I can't," and I do want to continue to build strength and push myself.

That's why Brian is pushing for me to see Bill Leach, a well-known running coach (at least on the Northside) in Chicago who analyzes gait  along with training runners. I'm interested in finding out if how I run is the correct way. Believe it or not, you really can have a messed up stride or technique, and that can aggravate current problems or trigger new ones. Brian, for example, has completed several 1/2 Ironmans and a ton of Olympic distance triathlons to find, after nine months off a lot of pain once he resumed his workouts, that all these years he's been compensating for poor running technique and thus has more knee and leg pain than he should.

I'm also considering returning to PT, but I want to see "Coach Leach" first. I've actually watched him work with people while I took PT at Accelarated in Lincoln Park. He was focused and definitely coach-like. But that's what I need.

Yeah, I'm in pain. It's not a lot and definitelly something I can deal with, but I don't want it to escalate and genuinely want to understand how my body performs -- and what I can do to help it. Some people are natural athletes and can crank out ultramarathons (please excuse the Wikipedia reference there) without woes. I am not one of those people. But that doesn't mean I'll sit on the sidelines.

4 comments:

The Reluctant (and Hungry!) Yooper said...

We eat a lot of Zatarain's jambalaya at my place! (AKA The Lazy Chef's Kitchen). The next time you make it, try adding a can of petite diced tomatoes and a little something to bring some heat: chopped jalapenos (fresh or canned), ancho chili powder or good ol' crushed red chili pepper. (Or all three, if you like your meals really spicy!) I drain the liquid from the canned tomatoes and use it in place of some of the water called for on the box, and stir the tomatoes and chilies into the water/rice/seasoning mixture before it comes to a boil. Really makes a difference in the depth of the flavor. Some pieces of jalapeno chicken sausage from Trader Joe's (browned a bit in a pan or on the grill first) make a nice addition, too!

Sara Z said...

Mmm, that sounds so good -- and EASY. That's what I like about it. I have a deep appreciation for recipes that do not require a lot of measuring, and it's not just b/c I can be lazy. I feel like those are some of the best recipes because they allow you to get creative and be rewarded if you don't put in the exact same amount of an ingredient each time. Those recipes are generally easy to substitute ingredients with as well. As always, you have great ideas!!!!

Erin said...

I've had the honor to meet and run with Bill Leach. He is really observant of runners' gaits, it's like he can't run without looking at how other people run. He noticed that I run like I am on a balance beam, one foot directly in front of the other.

I say give it a shot. He's a runner, so he "gets it". I think he may be more beneficial than just PT, especially if you get the wrong therapist.

Have you talked to anyone about custom orthotics? They aren't cheap, but they can help with a lot of foot issues that lead to knee issues.

Sara Z said...

Thanks, Erin. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. The orthotics are a great idea. I use the insertable ones you buy. They're not Dr. Scholls - more expensive -- but generic nonetheless. I had doubted going to see a doctor again b/c I already know what's wrong with my knees, but if I can get orthotics, that might be just what I need ...