Thursday, October 22, 2009

Ad Class Recovery

My self-imposed 24-hour ad class recovery officially ended last night, so I was back at it today brainstorming for my next assignments. Twenty-four hours is what I allow myself to feel like a loser (it's about 22 hours if you count the last two hours of class).

It's been about five weeks since class started -- this week was a version of "mid-terms" -- and I can tell you the following: I am not destined for advertising. I'm a firm believer in the "either you got it or you don't" philosophy, and I don't got it.

I don't say that b/c my ads are getting ripped to shreds, which they are; the kids who "get it" get their fair share of criticism, too, but you can tell they know how to improve and what to improve on. I hear the advice, and I've read a great book that really taught me a lot, too, and it just ain't clickin'. That's what kills me. Of course, my instructors critique based on standards of major ad agencies, while at this point I'd like to be critiqued on an average agency level. Perhaps shitty agency level. Either would help me at this point.


Although I didn't sign up for the class with the intent to go into advertising, I admit I'm crushed. I have never, ever struggled so much with anything visual or involving words before. That's my schtick! And I'm failing at it.  It's so bad, that when we were randomly paired up, it dawned on me that it's extremely likely I might be the one who no one wants to be with, not because they don't like me, but because it's not a smart business move. (You know what I'm talking about; pairing up with the smart kids!) I have never been that person that's avoided. I graduated Phi Beta Kappa, damn it! I'm smart! 

Another confession: Deep down inside, I was hoping I'd turn out to be a hidden talent and therefore have a new, bright, shiney career aspiration in front of me. Um, next?.

Next week will be hilarious. My partner is this really cool Japanese woman who you can tell is smart and very creative. Her weakness is making the cultural translations, and the language gets in the way sometimes, too. My weakness is I'm just not getting it! (Truth: I was hoping to have a mid-term review that looked at my work, spotted a trend and told me how to review, but that's not quite what happened). The good news is we're both positive people, already brainstorming ideas, and her presentations kick ass. Woot!

In my defense, this is almost like signing up for a senior-year advertising portfolio class, although our lasts three quarters and you're expected to start from scratch. And I definitely wonder what it would be like if this were an actual, in-depth advertising class rather than a critque session that meats for three hours each week. (Can't get a lot more done than that).

Wish me luck. Our group project is for Zipcar and our individual assignment is for Ruffles potato chips. The assignment sheet instructs us to eat a bag of Ruffles and then do a campagin of three ads.

At least there's comfort food involved.

No comments: