Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Post-Ad Class Recovery

It's been 24 hours hours since my ad class ended, and I've almost recovered. I feel bad about myself each time I leave that class for two big reasons:

1)  Our class is always held downtown, where I long to work. It's energetic, it's cool, it's convenient. It's everything my workplace lacks -- and I'm not just talking about the fountains, the marble, the escalators, the elevators. Comparatively, the bathrooms in our section of the building have toilets that barely flush and faucets that you can't count on. I leave class feeling mediocre, boring. Suburban. (Sorry to my suburbanite friends, but you can't make an argument that suburban offices have energy surrounding them like downtown offices.)

2) My ads get shredded. I'm definitely not the only one, and I hear that any creative class (design, drawing, etc.) is brutal, but it doesn't matter. I'm used to succeeding! Or failing and at least "getting it." Consequently, my ego is roasted during and after class. Each time.

So, it's become a trend to feel shitty afterward. I wish it were as "easy" as icing my knee or taking some Advil, but until I get a thumbs up, I'll continue to feel this way. Or rather at least until the next day. Like I said, it's 24 hours, and I'm finally getting excited about creating something again (even if it will likely be ripped apart).

I still love this class. I get to day dream about different ad ideas while I head to work and look for cool art to illustrate it. Or draw it myself! It kinda bums me out I'm not a natural creating ads, b/c working as a creative is pretty romantic (just forget about the late nights at the office for a minute and work with me). It would also be wonderful to have a new Next Step in my career happen to click without my expecting it.

But, I didn't sign up with the goal to work in an ad agency, and I'm taking this class for fun. Thank God. It makes the rejection of my ad ideas much easier to brush off.

On to the next campaign! Bring it on.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Are you brave enough to scan one of your ads and post it here?

And to think, you're paying to feel this way! *just kidding!*

Sara Z said...

I'm so embarrassed of my ads, even if I feel there's still something about 'em that could work! But maybe if I ever get some sort of validation from my instructors I will ...