Thursday, October 1, 2009

Give Indian Food A Chance (Specifically Chicago Curry House)


I came to work today excited to share my story about another successful Tuesday Night  at Chicago Curry House. But I didn't really get anywhere because I was immediately greeted with  the typical "I don't like spicey food" reply I hear when Indian food comes up.

Bor-ing. And frustrating, because half the time when I hear a comment like that, it's usually because people are equating using spice with being spicey, as in super hot on your tongue. Changes are, they ate a Hot Tamale, realized they didn't like their tongue to feel as if it were on fire, then swore off "spicey" food. Or maybe they did try a curry, but instead of its being a yellow curry or a dish simply made with curry spice, it was green curry, which I'm convinced could raise the dead.


The truth is I don't like foods that are so spicy they burn my tongue either. But I do like spice, and Chicago Curry House has got it. I wish I could convince these "spice haters" to try it! Pictured above is the delectable and oh-so-scrumptious Curry House Special Vegetable Dinner, with (and I'm going to cut-and-paste here)  Dal Makhunu, Palak Paneer, Aloo Ghobi, Navaratan Korma Served with Basmati Rice, Naan and kheer. That translates to spinach and cheese; lentils; chick peas; cauliflowr; raita (sp?); a vegetable jaipur thingy; and cold slices of tomato, lemon and cucumber. At right is the yummy chicken korma.

I can't talk about Indian food worth shit; I'm not an expert by any means and can barely pronounce the name, yet list the ingredients. But Brian is! And so is my friend Paula. And surely all the Indians we see eating there are experts as well. I can't speak for the strangers, but reviews so far are stellar from people who have taken my recommendation.

It's a winning place -- I give it 4 of 5 Zs -- because the food's great, the service is top (the manager personally has come around each time we've been there, on top the wait staff being on their game) and the atmosphere is still nice -- you won't find questionable floors or tables that don't look clean.

I hope people make a visit. They opened this year (bad economy!) and the location is a little off beat (South Loop, 1/2 block west of State street), which all spells trouble. But if the reviews and steady crowd in the dining room is any indication, they should be fine. Crossing fingers! I don't want to only have Devon as a solid Indian option.

***
I just realized I never explained Tuesday Nights. When Brian and I first started dating, we discovered Tuesday Night to be a perfect mid-week date night for both of us. When we'd make plans, we always wanted to a try a new restaurant, and that's our goal. Sure, there have been many repeats, but above all, it's our night out, so much so that we've scheduled anniversary or birthday dinners specifically on Tuesday nights. Another bonus: restaurants are better mid-week -- but that's merely icing on the cake.

Of note: Through June -- or at least until I'm in class -- Tuesday Nights are actually Wednesday nights because my class meets Tuesdays. Regardless, it's Tuesday Night to us, and that's how I'll refer to it here.

No comments: