Thursday, October 15, 2009

Marathon Spirit




The Chicago Marathon's a beautiful thing, especially when it's not 85 degrees a la 2007. I watched my first one in 2006 near the finish line and was blown away at how uplifting it was. This year, Brian and I trekked nearby to try to get a glimpse of our neighbor Marty en route to complete his first. We never saw him, but when you're watching thousands of runners fly by -- they were still flying at mile 7.5 -- spanning a wide street (Addison), it's difficult. We didn't plan as we should have either; telling him where we'd be and finding out what he'd wear would've helped.



That said, I got psyched. I'm gonna sign up for an Olympic distance triathlon for end of season -- likely the Chicago Triathlon instead of an earlier race to give me plenty of time to get my milelage up. Congrats to the marathoners out there. I have no desire to run that far, but that doesn't mean I have the ultimate respect for the accomplishment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now you have me jonesing for a marathon. That is just not going to happen in the next year, but that doesn't mean I can't focus on a half-marathon. Still trying to get back into a workout routine.

Sara Z said...

I'm sure you will do another marathon at some point! I think the half-marathon distance -- or hell, even a 5k -- is great. A routine is hard to get into I imagine with a baby, but once you get it, it probably helps things a lot. Good luck! You'll get there!