Thursday, October 22, 2009

My New Favorite Stroke

Hear ye, hear ye: I have a new favorite stroke. For the past four swims I've incorporated about 10 min. of backstroke, and it's fun and also very efficient. I'm good at it, too (unlike writing ads, but that's a different blog).

The best part is my heart rate stays up. I was hesitate to do backstroke because the people I generally see doing it are lazying around. They're usually overweight and not committed to their workout at the time I'm watching them. That's fine, but the image doesn't make me want to jump into it. I've also been afraid -- for the past two years -- to not do freestyle, which is what 99 percent or so of triathletes do in the water. Why wouldn't I try to perfect it?

I've had it all wrong. I did learn proper backstroke technique in college but only jumped back into it when I read a sentence in a swim column in Triathlete magazine: Doing the backstroke makes you stand taller, and you develop leaner muscles. Here's to the power of the written word, because that image of a tall, thin swimmer stuck with me. (Note how much images influence me? Or is it ignorance?) The article dove into detail (no pun intended) about  all the benefits. I was convinced. And I appreciate the variety to my workout, too.

That's actually what the off-season is about: variety. Trying new things without the pressure of going hard each time. Going slow so you can focus on technique. What will next week bring?

1 comment:

The Reluctant Yooper said...

Proof that I spend way too much time with headphones on my ears and way too little time with trainers on my feet: When I first glanced at the title of this post, I thought you had written about switching your allegiance to a different member of the New York band responsible for that ubiquitous early-'00s single "Last Nite." (As usual, my personal favorite is the drummer).