Thursday, October 29, 2009

I GOT A 'GOOD JOB' IN MY AD CLASS

HEAR YE, HEAR YE: I GOT A 'GOOD JOB' IN MY AD CLASS!

Make no mistake: it was followed with an urge to "take it to the next level" and came with a reminder that "it wouldn't get into Archive [magazine]," but my instructors -- uber tough critics -- said, "Good job." Well, one of 'em said it, and the other one didn't have nearly as many bad things to say about it compared to my other ad campaigns or ideas.  This one, the complimentary instructor said, could run in Good Housekeeping magazine (hold your judgement on the type of magazine and work with me) -- a major publication!

I'd like to credit the subject matter -- food -- for my success. Specifically, junk food, comfort food. I can relate to food and no doubt that relationship helped me. They said food campaigns are the toughest, alongside fashion. Thankfully, I had my love of food on my side.

The ad had to be for Ruffles potato chips. I designed a campaign (three ads around the same concept) featuring a healthy person -- in workout gear or standing in an organic food aisle with a basket of fresh vegetables -- stuffing Ruffles potato chips in her/his face, crumbs everywhere, with the words, "Ruffles missed you, too." The third ad featured a long hallway-esque persepctive of a health club. No people, just a crumpled bag of Ruffles on the floor surrounded by crumbs.  Yeah, someone indulged, and it's OK.

Would this concept need a little oomph, particularly with the copy? Yes, among other tweaks. But I still declare last week's class a success, and I may or may not have had a twinkle in my eye when one of the students who "gets it" in class (and whose opinion I respect) said he liked it, too.

We will not talk about our group project -- why dwell on the "challenges?" (By the way, can I tell you how sick and tired I am of interviewing sources and having to ask what "challenges" they faced instead of using the word "problems?" I digress.)

Despite my success, I am leaning toward not continuing the class. I'll finish this trimester, but there are two others left at $1,360 each. I'm not learning takeaways that are applicable to any type of marketing materials I might have to prepare (this class is specifically geared toward people who want to be a creative in advertising and preparing a portfolio for that), and $1,360 is a lot to spend on fun. Even the "fun" part is debatable sometimes. If I were getting reimbursed, I would definitely continue. But after paying off my car and debt, and a reduction in rent, I'm supposed to be saving money. Hence, I'm waivering.

I have a few weeks to decide. In the meantime, I have a new campaign and a new partner to focus on. And a little hope to boot.

I HEART RUFFLES. And food, I heart you, too.

No comments: