Thursday, October 1, 2009

Take That! My Own New Box of Crayons


I had my second advertising class this week, the first one that included critiques of our work and opinions. I had some winning comments and ideas and some losers, but the best part of all came from preparing for class. I got colored pencils. And crayons. Brand new.


Who doesn't love a box of freshly bought, never-used crayons? I distinctly remember owning oodles of crayons in every color -- burnt sienna, sea foam green ... you know the names -- that still had a lot of life left in them, yet I begged my mom for new ones, just so I could break them in. I was a goody goody and didn't steal when I was a kid, except for one thing: a brand, new bourdeaux-color crayon from our family friend's supply. Being the good child I was, I confessed even though I could have gotten away with it. Giving up the crayon was hard and embarrassing.

I can't remember the last box I bought, likely for 7th grade art. But at age 29, I've got a brand new set, no permission needed. And if I so choose, I can buy another box. It's not like the gently used ones would go to waste; I'd donate them to a program for the disadvantaged.

But it's been more than just owning a new box though, which is sweet but has its limits in excitement. Breaking open that box along the perforation made me excited to create things again. Draw. Color outside the lines. And not just the typical flower, balloon or barn I seemed to fall back on when I couldn't create anything masterful. This class is pushing me to draw out big ideas for new -- adult -- challenges.

So, might I suggest you buy a box of crayons, too? If you don't do it for the rush of breaking out the ol' cornflower or raw umber alone, I promise you'll have fun doodling.

(Note: If you look at the list of crayons I linked to, you'll see some of the color names I listed here were from editions beyond my birth year. But I swear I had those crayons in my box of Crayola! Perhaps they weren't discontinued. Or maybe I never had "new" crayons. Hmmmm.)

No comments: