Monday, September 28, 2009

Pilates a Go Go

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually like pilates.

I'm surprised because I do not do well in yoga -- two totally opposite yet equally terrible yoga experiences and I swore never to go back to a class -- and pilates certainly has elements of it. But although you get the stretching and some of the poses as in yoga, there's no Sanskrit 'n' shit in pilates. There's no kum bah yah, and no talking in a soft voice, and no bowing. And thus, I'll likely be back.

My month off of working out is almost over, so I did the pilates thing and I signed up for my first run-only race -- a mere 5k -- since 2006 (it was actually three years ago this weekend at the Bucktown 5k that I met my boyfriend, Brian, and the last run-only race I've done because of my knees. But I digress!). The run also involves hot chocolate, which may or may not have anything to do with it, but basically, I'm pumped and ready to get moving again. One month off -- save for a couple runs and one 30-mile bike ride --and I feel "squishy." I'm stiff! I'm not toned! And I don't want to lose any more of my base.

This month has taught me that you can take a month off and should take a month for your body to heal and without fear of losing everything. But it's also a reminder of how quickly stiff joints and a lazy attitude can set in -- it took me about two weeks.

I'm ready to go!

***
Speaking of being ready to go, I'm toying around with the idea of doing an Olympic distance triathlon this coming season -- that's double what I'm used to. It's terrifying considering I can't train well on the run. But, I've got the stamina to do the bike and the swim (what I did in the aquabike this year), and I figure I can suck up the run. We shall see.

No comments: