Saturday, September 19, 2009

Icy Pop Grape: Misunderstood


It turns out I've been misjudging the authenticity of icy pops' grape flavor for 29 years.

I always equated that sugary-yet-tart pungent smell (and taste) with crap grape flavoring. Whatever the purple Red dye No. 5 equivalent is never did it for me. Same thing with grape jelly. It all seemed fake as a kid, and the smell and taste hasn't really won me over as an adult, even for nostaliga's sake.

But we're in southwest Michigan's Harbor Country -- specifically Union Pier -- and while taking advantage of stunning weather and miles of country roads on bike, we passed a few vineyards.

We might as well have been riding through a grape icy pop manufacturing plant. All these years, icy pops' "natural flavor" was spot on. Who knew?  Did the icy pop founders really work hard to match the smell of real grapes? I can picture them in product development meetings, pushing their R&D teams to match the scent of grapes off the vineyard.

Maybe that's not how it happened. Whatever it is: I apologize.

No comments: