Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Two Years Later, My Love for Spring Continues

Two years ago this month, my boyfriend took me to Spring for my birthday. We had been dating for just over six months at that point, and I had only been to a couple nice restaurants prior -- Blackbird for his birthday, and Hopleaf in Andersonville as a thank you dinner to me -- so although I had some great comparisons, I didn't really know food too well. Nice restaurants still made me nervous, and while I loved the different foods and combinations I was putting in my mouth, I didn't know why I loved them. I lacked the vocabulary, repeating after each bite, "I really love this," and "That's so good." Spring set a standard in my newbie foodie head, even if I couldn't explain what that standard was.

We went last night with Brian's aunt, and Spring is still amazing, right up there in my Top 3 as always. The staff are still warm and incredibly helpful, and everything tasted like heaven to me. I wasn't crazy back in 2007. I wasn't in a haze of fine dining, the kind that can overpower anyone not used to eating in a higher end restaurant. As of 2009, Spring really is that good.

The staff hit the spot. They're still unpretentious and low-key, and they're able to talk about anything on the menu. If you say, "I'm debating between the tenderloin and the scallops," they don't respond, "Well, it depends on what you're in the mood for. Those are so different." No shit Sherlock. Spring staff go into the finer details of what's not listed on the menu. And they're attentive.

I had grilled octopus in a creme fraiche for a starter and the scallops and oxtail for my main. Both fish were cooked perfectly, and the flavors played off one another really well. Scallops and ox tail? It works, trust me. I sampled my boyfriend's and his aunt's food, and it was equally tasty. Our dessert -- panna cotta with ginger sorbet, and an almond cake with cherry sorbet - knocked our socks off. I was thrilled the chef still offers a basil hot chocolate end-of-meal chaser, served in the same cute cups as the chef's tasting potato curry soup (definitely bowl-worthy).

I'm proud to announce Spring still ties three ways for my top restaurants. )The other two: Schwa here in Chicago and Bayona in New Orleans.)

No comments: