Wednesday, September 2, 2009

In Defense of Yellowtail

My coworker just called Yellowtail one of the "worst wines you could possibly drink." The Dissing coworker just couldn’t understand why someone wouldn’t spend $3 to get a nicer bottle of wine.

I had to chime in on behalf of the brand: if you’re not a wino and can deal without analyzing the details of a wine, Yellowtail will do you good. So wine snobs, back off.

Are you going to have a conversation about it’s color, aroma and flavors? No. Would I recommend Yellowtail if you’re cooking a gourmet dinner? No. But in all other cases, Yellowtail is a sure bet to be smooth and balanced. I love opening it in the middle of the week. If I don’t finish the bottle in a day or so – likely – the $5.99 to $7.99 pricetag won’t leave me feeling guilty.

My coworker’s right: you cold drop $5 more and maybe upgrade, but b/c there are still a decent number of crappy wines in the $12 range, and you still have to know what you’re doing. And that’s fine! I've had my share of beautiful wines in all types of price ranges, and when chosen well, they have their time and place. For those of us who don’t want to think about it, though, Yellowtail is great.

Sometimes you’ve just got to defend those sure things. Yellowtail is one of ‘em.

No comments: