Monday, December 21, 2009

What We Eat At Home: December Highlights


Put aside all the holiday meals (four so far) and we've had a fairly healthy food month here at Brian and Sara's. Some of this months have been my favorites in terms of both flavor and color:


This is my favorite in terms of color. I took cubed sweet potatoes, spinach and onions and sauteed them in a little olive oil, then added eggs. I recall cumin being a component as well. The flavors came together well -- it's the execution that fell short. I threw the potatoes in first but totally underestimated how long they'd take. Mental note: fully cook the buggers and then add 'em.



Brian made me this after a long night at work, and it's still one of  my favorite quick pasta dishes to date. I can't recall all the ingredients, but I do know that spinach, a little bit of tomato, onion, garlic, and rosemary -- lots of rosemary -- were involved. He sauteed those ingredients and added the sauce to store-bought mushroom ravioli. The fact that there was only a hint of tomato instead of its being the main ingredient really made the rosemary (and was there thyme, too?) stand out. Brian says he simply took my pasta sauce idea and put a twist on it, but I think he did much more.




 Mmm, catfish. Some call this redneck. I call it tasty and fun. So long ago, though, I can't remember what he put in the sauce -- I'm pretty sure wine's in there -- and if that was polenta on the bottom or what. But I had to at least call it out.

See the next post for the big holiday finale.

No comments: