Friday, December 18, 2009

Secret Santa Duty Report

How could you NOT love these kids? My coworkers and I became Secret Santas this year and got to distribute the gifts to needy kids in Chicago Public Schools, and what a hoot! This video begins right after we "Santa's Helpers" walked in.



This year I bought gifts for three kids, and two of those gifts were in lieu of gifts to a couple of my friends who I always exchange with. It's so easy and simple, and we're at a time in our lives where we don't really need to buy more things for each other. These kids' excitement woulda topped any gift certificate, candle or jewelry we might have given. .


This little girl was my favorite -- a little me! I, too, had glasses when I was young, and I hope I was nearly as smiley and sweet as she was. Her glasses, btw, were much cooler than mine; I wore upside down glasses, and they were horrible. I distinctly remember another 5-year-old and her mom walking by our house and pointing at me while asking why my glasses were upside down. But I digress. This little girl was my favorite.



I'm thankful Barbie's still popular, b/c Lord knows there are some skanky dolls out there.



This little girl wouldn't open her present so she could have something under the tree. (She wasn't the only one.)



I spent $30 on a Hug-n-Heal Barbie set when bubbles could've brought the same enjoyment? J/k



The little girl (above) didn't get what she wanted and had a major meltdown -- one of only two, so I consider it a success.



I can't tell who's more excited in this one. Remember how fun it was to watch someone open presents -- especially toys?


No update here: They are serving the exact same pizza that they did when I was in elementary school in the '80s.

So if your company, church, gym or what have you does a Secret Santa, DO IT. Do one. Do a few. Buy in lieu of presents for other people. They'll appreciate it.

One more thing: when you're buying something, try to stick to what the kids want and don't assume that because they're poor they'll automatically like whatever you give them. Kids are kids. Rich or poor, they have an opinion. And although many definitely will have an appreciation or excitement that a more fortunate kid might not feel, they still dream about cool toys they see on TV. Just sayin'.

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

The Reluctant Yooper said...

Cheers for Santa Sara! Those kids look so cute and so thrilled!

As a former Chicago Public School student (13 years!) and also a former CPS employee, I've encountered so many kids whose families can't afford holiday gifts. How awesome that you and your coworkers are so generous -- and also thoughtful enough to get the cool toys that kids really want!

Oh, and on having ugly glasses as a kid: I wore hideous bifocals for my entire 7th grade year due to a misdiagnosis. I looked like a pint-sized Golden Girl. These days I try really hard to think of that trauma as a character-building experience.