Saturday, December 5, 2009

Coming Up: Ad Class Finals ... Web Site Launch

This Tuesday will be the last ad class of the semester, and it's bittersweet. It'll be a relief to have the workload lifted, but it was fun to try something new. And I'll miss my classmates. Just like I remember in high school or college, the semester ends right when everyone starts clicking and getting comfortable around one another. Why does it always happen that way? Whether it's the 9-month school year coming to an end or, in the this case, a 9-week class, it always winds down the exact same.

Most of my classmates will continue on in the sequence. I'm going to take the marketing class in the spring but not do the ad classes. I would continue if I were getting more out of them that applied to my career, but I can't justify the $1,300 price tag at this point for something that's just fun.

***
As I write this, we're hours away -- pending all is activated properly by our friends at GoDaddy.com -- for the launch of my Web site, SaraZailskas.com. Shockingly, the site name wasn't taken, so I grabbed it up a few months ago and commissioned the fabulous Paula Girshman of Graphica29 to execute it. I thought it was pretty pathetic that I didn't have a Web site to send to people who were interested in hiring me as a freelance writer, editor and project manager. Way to join the land of the living, Sara!

Paula and I worked together at my current job on our award-winning digital magazine, and we kicked ass. No, really; we work together seamlessly, and our talents complement each other. Naturally I thought of her when I was ready to go.

I had the concept in mind for what I wanted, and she took it to a new level. My favorite part is the outline she did of a woman (me) sitting at a table and working. Check it out when you can.

If you want to work with Paula, you can reach her at paula@graphica29.com. And if you need a writer or editor, let me know. I've done everything from marketing copy to e-newsletters to books and theses, so whatever your task, I can help.

No comments: