Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Belated Take on "Twilight:" Be Careful if You Love It, Be Careful If You Hate It

I finally caved and watched "Twilight" this weekend, and, like my attraction to the bad boy I knew was no good for me, I can't stop thinking about it. The author and producers did a good job, because Lord knows idolizing the love affair between Edward and Bella is not healthy to dream about.

Listen to me! I sound like the jaded (or enlightened, depending how you look at it) feminist I read in Bitch magazine who ripped the oh-so-popular saga to shreds for its unrealistic, abusive and virginal themes. I should tell you I didn't avoid the movie entirely because of the article, even though the writer's argument was pretty strong; I just didn't get the vampire thing. Pastie white skin, creepy eyes and monotone dialogue are not hot. After all, you fall in love with characters because you relate to them in some way, right?

That's the scary part: there are controversial parts of this movie I related to, and I'm betting there are tons of scenes teenagers do too. Flash back to "Moby," the bad boy I dated years ago whose chemistry pulled me in but whose immaturity and rudeness "because he liked me so much" repulsed me. Thank God I had the clarity to know my limits and break it off. What about the teenagers idolizing these characters who think the Edward-Bella relationship is dreamy?

In my book, any guy -- Rob Pattinson or not -- who shows up uninvited in your bedroom while you're sleeping is creepy. Same thing if he's possessive, keeps you from your friends and gets rough when he's angry. Oh, and when a guy tells you, "I'm not good enough for you" or "I'm afraid to hurt you" -- he is and he will. Edward might not be a physical abuse case waiting to explode, but he does need vampire therapy -- and it's not pyschologically healthy for Bella to be involved with him.

When the movie ended, I didn't think it was so bad. Some parts were hot. Others I couldn't stop thinking about. I thought Bitch magazine had valid points but overreacted.

Yet each time I mulled the sexy-hot chemistry between Edward and Bella, I got hit with a pang of disgust. Four days of analyzing this movie and I finally realize my gut has been reacting to all those unhealthy parts of their relationship the same way it would when I was with a guy who was bad for me. Coincidence? I think not. 

The good thing is I know this is a movie, and I think it's fun to get caught up in the attractive parts of their love affair. I watched "Twilight" twice. I even want to see "New Moon," despite hearing the cheese quotient is sky-high. And I may or may not have already downloaded the "Twilight" soundtrack (hey, it's good.).

If you haven't seen Twilight already and are skeptical for whatever reason, see it. Figure out what you do and don't like about it -- and why. At the very least, the characters will play in your head for a while, just as author Stephenie Meyer intended. It's a movie, right?

No comments: