Monday, November 23, 2009

Goodbye to My Gym

This morning I said goodbye to the Y, finally making the plunge to work out at Brian's gym full-time. It's bittersweet, for all the reasons I've written. But I'm mentally there, which was a big step.

I've had my new membership card since the beginning of November and immediately began swimming in my new pool, which is 1,000 times better than the Y's. A 25 meter pool that is constantly open for lap swim made it an easy transition. But I couldn't give up spin class until today, even though the Monday instructor's workouts haven't been doing it for me for a while, and even though my new gym features more classes. The bikes are nicer at my old gym. And more importantly, I like the people.

Oddly, top of mind is Lila (name's changed), a mentally challenged and bi-polar woman who comes every single morning and I think in the evening, too. She has a habit for blurting out really disturbing parts of her past in the middle of a conversation, and she sometimes calls you out on things -- she finds them at 5:30 in the morning, believe it or not -- that no other person would bring up. But she's a positive force and always means well. I made a point not to let her know I was leaving until the very second, afraid she'd tell people -- and with the wrong facts -- before I could. She found out in class, and as I left she told me she'd miss me, and I actually reciprocated the sentiment genuinely.

We also have Elaine, a Jewish woman with a lot of spunk and energy. She's a workout diva, and even though we're not in the same circle, per se, she was always excited to include me on invitations to her jewelry parties and whatnot. She wanted to swap emails b/c she said I'm motivating her to do the Chicago Triathlon. She's 10 times more in shape than I am, but apparently she likes the push. I'm happy to help.

I'll really miss Diana. I'm not the only one stupid enough to travel to the Y at 5 a.m. in the middle of an ice storm; Diana does the same thing. She has a genuinely calming and nice presence that unites everyones.

I made sure to say goodbye to Carol, a woman who used is ALWAYS smiling, last Friday, when I started telling my Y friends I'd be leaving. She once referred to me as the perfect little sister she never had. Hah! If only she were around me all the time. Carol used to come twice a week, but now is lucky to make it to one morning class -- and not the one I take. If I had continued to see her regularly, there's a good chance I would still be at the Y.

I can't forget Bert, or Stan, or Amy, or Stacey, who swiped our cards in the morning and had mine memorized. Or Megan, the instructor with great interveral workouts and whose music taste matched my perfectly. The last class of hers I went to she even played nearly an entire class of songs I had swapped with her. Ironic -- it made it hard to leave!

In fact, it's the people above, and the other people whose names I never learned, that I loved seeing every morning for two-and-a-half years. If any of us were gone for a week, we'd inquire about what was new.

I didn't mention KC yet, and on purpose. KC is 75-year-old woman who's at the pool every morning. But don't get an image of an elderly lady in your head. KC was a weight-lifting instructor and swim teacher with no body fat. She rides her bike to the Y every morning except in the snow -- possibly the rain, if it's light enough -- from Devon to School. She teaches at multiple gyms, too, and knows everything and everyone. She's a striking woman -- silver hair that would make any gray-haired person envious and very high cheekbones -- with a history of raising kids, living all across the U.S. (including Alaska), and sports. Lots of sports. In her 40s she took up figure competitions b/c she was bored. She'd been on basketball teams and was an official Red Cross lifeguard for years, too. There's more to her that I don't even know.

Don't get me wrong, she wasn't perfect. Sometimes KC got annoying. She was very entitled to her opinion and occassionally would spout off on the way my generation is handling things. Sometimes she wouldn't shut up, and all I wanted to do was *not* talk. But you couldn't help but appreciate her. She'd offer me personal training tips (did I mention she's a personal trainer, too?) when I was injured and she could tell I was still trying to work out,  and she always had a story to tell to back up her argument.  Pointless chatter is not in KC's repetoire.

The day after my boss was fired, I went to work out despite not having any sleep and feeling sick. After swimming a mere three laps, I left the pool. That morning she had tried to be chatty and talk, and I gave her a really dirty just-leave-me-alone look while I answered whatever her question or comment of the day was. I was so busy feeling sorry for myself I didn't even feel bad for being rude.

The next couple weeks I was barely around the gym -- I was sick, had a business trip and also started swimming at my new gym -- so I didn't see KC for a while.  When she did finally see mer, she took a good look and asked, "Sara, how are you. The day you got out of the pool, I knew something was wrong. I said, Sara never gets out of the pool. I've been so worried about you."

I felt horrible and thankful for her at the same time. I filled her in, and she was understanding and glad to hear things were going better. She related about life -- as she always does -- and said I was justified in everything I felt. This is all in a quick conversation at 5:20 a.m.

She's representative of the people at the Y. If someone fell out of habit, we'd check in. We care about each other's well-being and like having each other around.

Elaine asked me if I were going to do the Tour de Farms with the Y team this year -- I really wanted to last spring but had my cousin's wedding to go to -- and provided I'm allowed to join their team, I just might do it. It would be great to see the people I'd come to know as my Y family. Lord knows my new gym won't have that same community, but we shall see.

No comments: