Saturday, November 7, 2009

Food We Eat at Home

Here's a recap of some recent favorites we've made from scratch (well, except for the pasta):

BRUSSELS SPROUTS!


I took a very simple recipe for Golden-Crusted Brussels Sprouts from the 101 Cookbooks blog that calls for the sprouts, olive oil and salt and pepper. I used thyme- and rosemary-infused olive oil we keep on hand for extra flavor. Perfection. What I love about this recipe is that it's very simple, and the directions tell you exactly how to deal with brussels sprouts, i.e. don't boil them.



Pasta with Italian-style turkey sausage (sweet), spinach, garlic, onion and olive oil

Notice a trend with us? It's amazing how different some of the same basic ingredients can taste with one alteration -- in this case, the turkey sausage. This dish is soooo simple and tasty, I'm sure we'll make it again. I was trying to duplicate a dish we had at Volare, but we didn't do it: I think at Volare they boil the sausage or cook it in a simple butter, because it didn't have an oily or sauteed feel to it, which I liked. We do a lot of that, and it's time to mix it up. I want to try again.


Did I write about this one already?
Breakfast at Dinner: boiled red new potatoes cut up and sauteed with peppers, onions and tomatoes with cumin. Really good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE brussels sprouts. I'm going to have to check out that recipe. I never boil my sprouts either. I quarter them or slice them then sautee. I'm curious to have them whole that way.