Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Why I Think Vendors Like Brides Like Me

I'm happy to report that wedding preparations continue to go swimmingly! Sure, there's been a little crisis aversion here or there (say, immediately retracting Brian's invitation to have his sister's family of five stay with us the week of our wedding), but all's going well. And importantly, my vendors are happy. At least they tell me so.

I want to keep my vendors happy not just because of my crush on them but because happy vendors equal personal motivation to do my wedding well. I'm trying to keep them happy by practicing a few genuine business rules:
  • Treating each interaction with them as I would any other professional meeting or conversation
  • Offering my opinions and requirements but listening and trusting theirs
  • Staying super organized and sharing any updates with them that might influence the plans we've created
  • Asking, what do you need from me in order to do your job? 
I figure that if all goes to hell in August for whatever reason -- Acts of God, my own emotional stress, etc. -- I'll have enough planned and have built up enough goodwill to not anger them so much they do the equivalent of a waiter spitting in my food.

Everything I listed is really basic, but you've seen bridezillas: it's as if they check everything -- tact, grace, couth, professionalism -- at the door, leaving everyone else -- including the people they're paying to work -- as slaves to their emotions.

I'm probably prematurely tooting my own horn. They could hate me for all I know. Personally, I might have thought, "Jeez, woman, your wedding's in September" if I received a few of the emails I sent.

But whatever I'm doing, it's paying off, because our relationships are going really well. I'm going to try to keep it that way!

No comments: