Tuesday, February 1, 2011

And She Wrote and She Wrote and She Wrote

I really want to try to write more.

Years ago, I wrote all the time. I was prolific! I had a blog, the MorningAfter Blog, that tackled dating and relationships and people and all things universal. It was popular and I enjoyed it.

But then it wasn't fun anymore. I got into a relationship and realized, for the moment, I had shared enough with the world. I wanted to be private and give up being public. I didn't want a "beat."

Since then, I've tried to get into topics -- food, triathlons, etc. -- without feeling passionate about it. And I still feel that way most of the time.

But something today has gotten me going, and I'm hoping it's not a fluke. Writing's been on my mind a lot, and I'm considering dropping a lot of money in a time when I'm spending way too much (wedding! hel-lo!) just to take a class on personal essays that would require me to write and put me in a position to improve how I do it too.

If I dig deeper, it's easy for me to point to my friend Cynthia, who recently took up a new blog and a new writing class and has thus reminded me of what I used to be like. We worked together as editors in a tiny newsroom serving a big geographical area, and then after we parted jobs chose to take a writing class together too. I associate writing with her, and if she starts back up, maybe I need to start back up too.

Even if the best thing we got out of that last writing class was the phrase "Hershey Kiss nipples." You don't need to know the story; that will suffice.

I'm preparing to dig back in.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I am happy as pie you are taking up the challenge...when I said you were doing a public service I wasn't kidding...

Jill Hives said...

You do need to start back up! Write about whatever strikes you as interesting, because your unique perspective could make any subject compelling.

Sara, seriously, the world needs your astute observations about human nature. I will bribe you with cupcakes and homemade salsa, if that's what it takes. Or do I need to track down Eagle Man to inspire you?

Oh man, now I'm feeling nostalgic for the MorningAfter years and even for that crazy writing class we took together.

Sara Z said...

what would a writer do without her cheerleaders? ok, i guess a lot of writers don't have cheerleaders and that's what they write about. not me. i appreciate mine. thank you. ... and gosh i've been feeling nostalgic for the morningafter years too! maybe my new blog will called "Not 'The Wife'" (b does not call me that, btw, it's just a pet peeve of mine when i hear that moniker).
thanks for the inspiration :)