Saturday, February 5, 2011

What We've Been Eating, January 2011

Here's a snapshot of our meals from January 2011. Some were no-recipe wonders, others borrowed from cookbooks, some combined leftovers with new ingredients. Enjoy!


I heart this dish! I added some fish sauce, sesame oil and oyster sauce to soba noodles and mixed in shrimp, ginger and vegetables. 

Mmm: My mom's oxtail soup. I just read that oxtails today aren't really the tails of an ox but instead cow parts. I know she's been buying the same meat for this soup for decades based on what her mom bought, and given the fact she doesn't shop at a shi-shi grocery store, I'm thinking it's the real thing. Regardless, she gets a kick out of the fact that oxtail is trendy; it's been a staple for peasants for years. 


One of the items on our wedding menu is an amazing korean bbq pork roast. Brian duplicated it pretty darn well last week and made an Asian-inspired slaw and AMAZING garlic mashed potatoes, his own special recipe. 

I barely remember this, but I know that the sauce on top is actually pureed vegetables with rosemary, leftovers from another dinner. I took leftover potatoes that had been sliced, baked, salted and sprinkled with thyme and mixed it with more vegetables, then topped it with the puree. To use Brian's favorite phrase, it was "actually pretty good."

1 comment:

Jill Hives said...

Everything looks so, so good! I think I need to make some soba noodles with ginger and veggies for dinner tonight.

And yes, I'll bet your mom knows where to get real oxtails. So glad to know that there are still cooks out there who use the real thing.