Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Vendor Crush

I've noticed a certain glee that comes over me whenever I talk with any of my wedding vendors.

I want them to like me. I want to give them ideas that they'll like. Whenever they tell me they like an idea or praise me for being so organized I secretly hope it means I'm their No. 1 client (even if for the moment).

Egotism? Maybe. Only-child syndrome? Perhaps. But I truly feel like I'm surrounding myself with the cool kids who are amazingly talented, and by golly, I want to fit in.

I'm hiring them because they have good taste and good opinions. On top of it, we're making a point to work with people I genuinely would want to surround myself with anyway -- good people who I've decided could help me plan one of the most emotional days of my life or be at my side during that time. Man or woman, how horrible to think I would bore them or not inspire them!

At the end of the day, I get everything I do accomplished because I make decisions, I take the emotion out of it as much as possible, I have a clear vision, and I do my best treat our relationship as the business transaction it is.

Except for having my secret crushes. I wonder if they know?

1 comment:

exilefromguyville said...

I used to feel the same way about the musicians I interviewed. Especially the drummers ...