Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Kissing my hard work goodbye

So this entire time I've been sick I've been gauging what my body can and can't do.

Most of the time I want to lie down but I do walk around the house or just take on something -- wiping off all the touch points in the house with a disinfectant wipe, for example -- to move around a little because I feel like it's good for me. And then I'm tired.

Or take today: I had a half-hour conference call this morning to organize my team for the week ahead (I'm project manager for one of the mags I work on) and then spent an hour-and-a-half cleaning up my inbox, replying to little stuff. That tired me out. So I had lunch and rested, and then had an hour-long phone call about work, which I couldn't reschedule. Then I was really exhausted.

I watched a movie -- resting, right? -- and wanted to watch another, which meant I had to check the mail to see if Netflix came. The climb three-flights up exhausted me, on top of making me dizzy (I'm frequently dizzy thanks to the Levaquin). I say down and watched something else.

I got tired of resting and realized my butt hurt from all this sitting around.  I decided to try to balance on one leg -- only part of one of the core exercises I would do -- and found my body shaking, heart racing. That's what freaked me out. A few weeks ago I spent 45 min. doing core work alone, and that was after an hour's worth of spinning or swimming. How can I get to this place?

I know I'm sick, and the thought of working out, for example, doesn't appeal to me at all because my body isn't up for it. But I am walking around -- a lot different than when I had the flu and could barely get out of bed -- so I guess I just assumed my balance and something as simple as climbing stairs wouldn't be a problem.

I feel like all my hard work is slipping away. And not being able to do balance exercises to even keep it up a little bit really bums me out.

I have no idea when I'll be able to work out again -- I know it'll be a couple weeks yet -- and I have no clue when I'll get back up to where I was. I know I'll be fine for the races, but that's not good enough for me.

No comments: