Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Goal: Resume Control of Dinner Ingredients

I've had a bad cold this week, which means I've pretty much been rendered useless, and by choice; I need to get better, and considering I'm not working full-time, I'll take the rest that I can get! Consequently, I'm not cooking dinners in the evening, a role I've voluntarily and happily assumed three or four days of the week.

When I cook these days, it means I'm using as little packaged food as possible. I'm whipping up recipes impromptu in the store, and our meals are balanced because I want them to be. We've been eating well! And considering Brian and I lost more weight after we'd already established a workout routine, I'm happy to credit the non-processed food goal with that result.

But now I'm sick, which means Brian's in charge of dinner. Brian can whip up mouthwatering three- or four-course meals that require techniques and kitchen tools with foreign names. Middle of the week? Particularly after a really stressful day (typical when you're a trader)? He specializes in a walk to Subway, or like last night, grilling a pre-made bison burger. Not bad at all, but when you're on an anti-pre-made-food streak, it can be hard to stomach. 

Don't get me wrong: I totally appreciate his taking care of me when I'm sick and grilling me a burger. I didn't mention he offered to pick up whatever I needed, and when I refused, still bought me miso soup (my favorite sick food these days) and other treats to make me feel better. And he does indeed make really wonderful food during the week too when the mood strikes.

I just wish it were easier to keep the non-processed trend going.

The funny thing is, it's not like he's totally unhealthy! When we first met, I was shocked that a guy could buy so much organic food or request to order out or make "something healthy" so often. I would eat healthy, but in a low-fat kinda way. I can't say that I always approved of the money he'd drop at Whole Foods on one of his big, special dinners because I didn't see the value.

Now I'm the one encouraging us to spend my unemployment check on organic and fresh foods and, for the most part, resist the indulgences I was always happy to succumb to (specifically Skinny Cow ice cream). I'd rather make the banana bread homemade than buy the fake stuff.

But you can't do that sick.

So here's hoping I get better soon! The next four days entail a second-round interview, celebrating Brian's birthday at Girl & The Goat, being a guest at a wedding and a triathlon. And hopefully, I can resume control of dinner ingredients. :)

No comments: