Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Last Night's Dinner: No-Recipe Stir-Fry


This is what you do with leftovers! The list included:

-- Corn, jicama, red bell pepper, red onion and lime salsa
-- Snow peas
-- White jasmine rice
-- Carrots

I bought chicken, marinated it in low-sodium teriyaki sauce and stir-fried it in the wok -- my first time using one (loved it!). I set that aside, dumped all the veggies in, and made a sauce with sesame oil, honey, fish sauce, soy sauce and just a little "classic stir-fry sauce" I found in our fridge.

Next, I dumped the rice in, and voila -- a tasty and not-too-salty (considering the ingredients) stir-fry.

The jicama did scare me -- I'd only had it cold and in salads and was afraid it would be the ingredient that didn't make sense. Turns out, it provided a perfect crunch and texture similar to water chestnuts. I think the lime from the salsa added a refreshing twist, too, although at first it was a little too tangy -- that's when I added the honey.

I'd like to credit the dump-it-all technique for this recipe's success. :)

1 comment:

Rice Palette said...

Heh, I like your "dump it all" technique :) I wish I can just "dump it all", however I'm still learning my ways in the kitchen! Great turnout! I like clearing out the fridge and use leftovers!