Thursday, April 22, 2010

My rules for being unemployed

So you might have been able to tell that I'm a pretty happy camper thus far about my company's shuttering last Friday. Still the case! That said, the sun won't shine forever (this week's rays have brightened up the world even more), and I'm more than aware that all this free time that comes with freedom could potentially lead to boredom, laziness and bumminess. I don't want to get to that point! So I set a few personal guidelines for myself:

  • Don't stay up past 11 p.m. during the week. This is key in getting enough sleep while not overspending time in bed, part of my next goal;
  • Don't stay in bed mid-week past 8 a.m. I don't want to find my day out of whack and wasted. And the closer to normal my schedule is now, the easier it'll be for me to go back to work. 
  • No daytime TV! OK, there will be exceptions, I'm sure, but I don't want to become a couch potato. Too much of that, for me personally, is a slippery slope to unhealthiness. 
All that means that I will be keeping busy. Here's my list of what to do if I find myself waning on ideas:
  • Make a job contact or connection every weekday. Alternatively, do something proactive toward a new position every day. While covering a work/life conference for HR professionals, one speaker said she recommends job searchers "cast a pebble" each day, the theory being that pebbles that fall into water make ripples, and the more ripples, the more possibilities for a new job. I don't want to overstress myself -- there are plenty of sags in momentum that can leave you with downtime -- but I want to make sure my efforts are consistent and quality.
  • Work out every day (or at least 6 times a week). And if my muscles are recovering from a hard workout, do something light -- pilates, yoga, a walk -- instead of forgoing a workout altogether. I've got time to be healthy; gotta make the most of it!
  • Stop ordering takeout because we're lazy. I have a kitchen at my fingertips for lunch and time and energy to cook a healthy dinner instead of ordering out. We love to eat at restaurants socially, on our date night or at the end of a hard week. Those ocassions are fine, but takeout for laziness no more.
  • Eat organic. This and my previous goal force me to experiment with new foods and recipes. I'm all for it!
  • Work on my children's book. My recent trip to Virgin Gorda inspired new story developments to plug into my tale of Lucy the island chicken that couldn't get up the roost. Again, I've got the time; I should use it!
  • Connect with friends, take care of random shit (like switching my car title to my name), and everything else I feel time-crunched to do during a normal job schedule.
You might have noticed I didn't include any measures to promote my income. I have at most, if needed, four months of pay coming and savings, so I'm blessed to not feel panicky about that at the moment. 

I've already hit several on my checklist today and the other days, so so far, so good. Now, you'll have to excuse me, but it's time to make another recipe from www.eatbetteramerica.com. :)

1 comment:

Erin said...

You have a great attitude, Sara! I like your daily to do list. You are very smart because it is easy to fall into a rut.

Keep up the good work and the good attitude!

ps - come to NC and we can have lunch! :P